Dollar Curtains & Blinds Pty Ltd ACN 068 338 787 and its related entities (dc+b, we, us, our) is committed to complying with applicable privacy laws in relation to the personal information that we collect in the course of running our business.
We may authorise certain third party entities to operate a ‘dollar curtains + blinds’ franchise (Franchisees). Franchisees are independent entities and are not our related entities. Franchisees are responsible for their own privacy practices and may have privacy policies which differ from ours. Please contact your Franchisee directly for further information.
- how we collect and handle personal information; and
- your rights in relation to any of your personal information that we hold about you.
In this document:
- “APPs” means the Australia Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act;
- “personal information” has the meaning set out in the Privacy Act, and (in summary) means information or an opinion about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether true or otherwise;
- “Privacy Act” means the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth); and
- “sensitive information” has the meaning set out in the Privacy Act, and includes certain specific types of personal information such as health information, and information about a person’s racial or ethnic origin, sexual orientation or practices, criminal record, religious beliefs or affiliations, political opinions, membership of a political, professional or trade association, and biometric and genetic information.
1. How we collect your personal information
We will collect and hold your personal information in a fair and lawful manner, and not in an intrusive way.
Some of the common ways in which we may receive personal information directly from you include:
- when you make an inquiry or order in relation to products or services, including through our Franchisees or our websites, including those located at www.dollarcurtainsandblinds.com.au (the Website);
- when you request a quote or submit an enquiry via a form on our Website;
- when you subscribe to our newsletter;
- when you enter into contracts with us for our products or services;
- in administering and performing any contracts with service providers;
- when you apply for a role with us;
- from correspondence (whether in writing or electronically) or when you contact us via telephone, e-mail, social media platforms or other means;
- when you upload content to or interact (in an identifiable manner) with our Website or our social media pages;
- through any mobile applications provided by our organisation;
- while conducting customer satisfaction and market research surveys;
- if you attend any of our premises, we may record certain contact details so that we can comply with applicable laws, and we may also record your image and/or voice if we have surveillance systems operating at those premises;
- when administering any of our services; and
- as otherwise required to manage our business.
Where it is reasonably practical to do so, we will collect your personal information directly from you. However, in certain cases we may collect personal information from publicly available sources and third parties, such as suppliers, recruitment agencies, your employers, contractors, our clients, business partners, referees, government bodies (e.g. police checks, if required), academic and professional bodies (e.g. to validate details and currency of qualifications).
If we collect personal information about you from a third party we will, where appropriate, request that the third party inform you that we are holding such information, how we will use and disclose it, and that you may contact us to gain access to and correct and update the information.
- 2. Types of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect about you depends on the circumstances in which the information is collected. Typically, the types of personal information we may collect can include (but is not limited to) your name, address, email address and phone numbers. We may also collect your house plans as part of providing a quote, and such plans sometime contain your name and other personal information.
If we enter into contracts with you, request or receive products or services from us or have any other commercial dealings with us, we may also collect your signature, date of birth, credit card and/or banking details, and billing information.
If you are an individual contractor to us or apply for a role with us, we may also collect information relevant to your engagement with us including qualifications, length of engagement, resume, current and former employment details, pay rate and salary, bank details, feedback from supervisors, training records and logs of your usage of our equipment (e.g. phones, computers and vehicles).
If we need to confirm your identity, we may collect a copy of appropriate identification.
If you access our Website or if you download and access any of our apps, we may:
- utilise cookies to collect additional information about your use of our Website and apps, such as your internet protocol (IP) address, device information, browser information, and details on your usage. Please see the cookies section below for further details of the types of information collected and how you can control what information is collected; and
- if you have provided us with permission to access your device location when using our Website or app, we may collect information about your geographical location.
If you call us via telephone, we may monitor and in some cases record such telephone conversations for staff training, quality assurance and record-keeping purposes.
If you attend a premises we operate or manage, we may:
- collect certain contact details that you provide to us (which may be via digital check-in apps), including the date and time of attendance, including so that we can comply with applicable laws. If we collect such information to comply with a particular law, we will only use and disclose it in accordance with applicable laws; and
- record your image and/or voice through the use of Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) systems for the purposes of managing security of the premises and health and safety of occupants and the public generally.
We only collect sensitive information about you with your consent, or otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act. The main types of sensitive information we may collect include:
- details of injuries (ie. health information) that may occur on our premises or arising through the use of our products or services;
- details of disabilities or allergies (i.e. health information) you notify us of so we can accommodate any special requirements when you attend our premises;
- biometric information (such as fingerprints) in order to provide secure access to our premises and equipment;
- criminal record details, as part of pre-employment checks we undertake.
If you do provide sensitive information to us for any reason (for example, if you provide us with information about a health condition, injury or disability you have), you consent to us collecting that information and to us using and disclosing that information for the purpose for which you disclosed it to us and as permitted by the Privacy Act and other relevant laws.
In addition to the types of personal information identified above, we may collect personal information as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Where you do not wish to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with requested products or services and/or certain functionality of our Websites and apps.
- 3. Our purposes for handling your personal information
As a general rule, we only process personal information for purposes that would be considered relevant and reasonable in the circumstances. The purposes for which we use and disclose your personal information will depend on the circumstances in which we collect it. Whenever practical we endeavour to inform you why we are collecting your personal information, how we intend to use that information and to whom we intend to disclose it at the time we collect your personal information.
We may use or disclose your personal information:
- for the purposes for which we collected it (and related purposes which would be reasonably expected by you);
- for other purposes to which you have consented; and
- as otherwise authorised or required by law.
In general we collect, use and disclose your personal information so that we can do business together and for purposes connected with our business operations.
Some of the specific purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information are as follows:
- to provide you with our products and services;
- to refer you to a Franchisee that can provide you with products and services;
- to receive goods or services from you;
- to respond to your request or query made via our Website or other means, and to otherwise stay in touch with you;
- to consider you for a job (whether as an employee or contractor) or other relationships with us;
- to provide you with tax invoices for our products and services and, if you have ordered products from us, dispatch and tracking information, returns and exchange authorisations;
- to operate, monitor, develop and improve our Website, mobile applications and our products and services;
- to confirm your identity;
- to optimise and customise the user experience (including content and advertising) for users of the Websites, mobile applications and services;
- to facilitate communications via our Website, apps and our social media platforms, including communications with us or with other users of those platforms via direct messaging and posting to forums;
- where you have provided us with access to your geographical location via our Website or any of our mobile applications, we may send you push notifications and other electronic communications (including SMS) for purposes including identifying our nearest store to you;
- to facilitate your entry and participation in a competition or trade promotion;
- to protect the security and integrity of our Website, apps and services;
- to contact you (directly or through our service providers and marketing research agencies) to obtain your feedback and to find out your level of satisfaction with our, or our Franchisees’, products and services;
- to keep you informed of the products and services we offer, industry developments, and to notify you of seminars and other events we are holding;
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to protect the security, health and safety of our premises, facilities, personnel and visitors;
- to address any issues or complaints that we or you have regarding our relationship; and
- to contact you regarding the above, including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner.
- 4. Who we disclose your personal information to
- to Franchisees and their staff;
- our suppliers, contractors and organisations that provide us with technical and support services or who manage some of our business functions. Without limiting the foregoing, this may include mail houses, advertising service providers (including online advertising networks and social media platforms that we use to serve our ads), web hosting providers and IT service providers;
- our related entities (who may use and disclose the information in the same manner we can);
- our accountants, insurers, lawyers, auditors and other professional advisers;
- any third parties to whom you have directed or permitted us to disclose your personal information (e.g. referees);
- in the unlikely event that we or our assets may be acquired or considered for acquisition by a third party, that third party and its advisors; and
- debt collection agencies.
We may also disclose your personal information in accordance with any consent you give or where disclosure is authorised, compelled or permitted by law.
If we disclose information to a third party who is handling it on our behalf, we generally require that the third party protect your information to the same extent that we do.
If you post information to certain public parts of our Website or to our social media pages, you acknowledge that such information may be available to be viewed by the public. You should use discretion in deciding what information you upload to such sites.